Vehicle theft is the number one property crime in the United States, and it costs consumers more than eight billion dollars a year. Much of that cost is borne by insurance companies, and they pass along the costs in the form of higher insurance premiums.
Let’s face it. If a criminal wants your car, he’s likely going to get it. But there are things you can do to lower your chances of a car highjacking.
1. Be aware of your surroundings. Notice the physical area around you. When you park in the daylight, and you know you’ll be coming back to your car after dark, try to park in a well-lighted area.
2. Be aware of the people around you. Notice if anyone is following you, or coming toward you from any angle. Look at them directly! Criminals are cowards. They would rather not deal with someone who can give police a good description of them.
3. Keep your car doors locked when you are driving. If you are at an isolated stop light, you are vulnerable to a highjacking. At least a locked door will slow a highjacker down a bit. But if ANYBODY taps on your window, drive away immediately.
4. Here’s a HUGE TIP for the ladies, but this scam works on men, too. One of the oldest tricks is that a highjacker drives up behind you and runs into the rear bumper of your car...just enough so that you feel it. Both of you stop your cars. If anybody from the other car gets out of that car and comes to your window, DO NOT ROLL DOWN THE WINDOW! Immediately drive to a well-lighted, high traffic location, like a convenience store, gas station or the closest fire or police station. If you have your cell phone with you, call the police and tell them what you’re doing.
5. Final tip. Buy a handgun, get a concealed weapons permit, and learn how to shoot your gun. Then you will be able to protect yourself and your property with a firearm. Remember that criminals are cowards. But if the criminal is the only one with a gun, your future doesn’t look to good.
Follow these five tips, and you’ll likely never have to deal with a vehicle theft.
If you have experienced an auto theft loss, you need to know winning insurance claim strategies. The insurance company will not tell you the claims process, but I will. I will show you how to take control of your insurance claim, and add hundreds or even thousands more dollars to your claim settlement. For more information, go to the website listed below.